Sunday, June 8, 2008

Fat and all it's meanings




About 10 years ago I was talking with a friend about my weight and and how I swore I was born a size 10. Joking. I was sharing stories of how I have struggled and how I was sure looking for the days that I didn't need to shop at the fat ladies store anymore. Here is how it went...

Me: I would love it if I could never set foot into the fat ladies store again. I hate the fact I have to go there. Nothing like saying hey thanks for the special store for fat people. Like short people have a special store.


Her: ummm...what did you say?

Me: I just hate Fat ladies stores..clothes are cute but I wish I could go anywhere.

Her: Fat? You said Fat?

Me: yes..

Her: well I don't use that word.

Me: okay...

I changed the subject quickly...However I could not believe that anyone would think that word was "bad" It was simply stating the truth, Fat is Fat.




Entry Word:
fat
Function:
adjective

Synonyms chubby, corpulent, fleshy, full, gross, obese, overweight, plump, portly, pudgy, roly-poly, rotund, round, tubby

Related Words beefy, bulky, chunky, heavy, heavyset, stocky, stout, thick, thickset, weighty; brawny, burly, husky; dumpy, squat, stubby; paunchy, potbellied; flabby,

1 having excess weight


2 containing or seeming to contain the greatest quantity or number possible





3 having a greater than usual measure across





4 having or being of relatively great depth or extent from one surface to its opposite





5 producing abundantly





6 yielding a profit

That was 10 years ago and I still use the word the word fat and my girlfriends I know cringe like I just killed someone. I chuckle when I see them squirm as the word is so blatuntly used like the celluite on their ass.






No comments: